Thursday, September 4, 2014

Don’t call me a foodie... I am a culinarian...


Using the word ‘foodie’ is controversial… mostly because different people have different perspectives regarding that terminology… Most of the times, it’s considered a word to represent someone who overeats… not someone who loves and enjoys food…

Even if it’s tagged with people who love food, i cannot call myself a foodie… my love for food is not always the ‘eating’ part… ofcourse, i love a good meal, cookies, and more cookies, and occasional treats… But, i enjoy food more in ways such as cooking, and food photography…

So i came up with this term that would describe my love; culinarian… Yes, love food in my own ways…

"Food, in the end, in our own tradition, is something holy. It’s not about nutrients and calories. It’s about sharing. It’s about honesty. It’s about identity."

Kitchen Queen…

Where do i start… i polished my culinary skills while i was in University of Hyderabad…. the birthday parties and friends coming over for after match parties, everybody has to be a chef… I started inventing and experimenting with recipes during these parties… it was fun fun days in kitchen…

During those days, my favourite TV channel was the travel and living channels and the favourite show for a long time was ‘Top Chef’… i can watch the cookery shows all day… they provided more inspiration and i began treating cooking as an art…



"Cooking is like painting or writing a song. Just as there are only so many notes or colours, there are only so many flavours - it's how you combine them that sets you apart."

Food photography…

Ahh… how i love being a shutterbug… even though my peak photography days were in the past, i still love clicking now and then, here and there, for Instagram mostly… food being something i would never miss… A well-set plate, a colourful dish in the pan… food have such vibrant colours and my camera loves all those…


Making a simple nachos and salsa looking awesome...

People always judge me by my food-related photo uploads and my interest in cooking… it’s all the ‘how’ and ‘why’ i get from people, especially my old Hyderabadi pals who know exactly what kind of ‘foodie’ i used to be… How can someone who does not enjoy eating food can have interests related to food!!

Well, i don’t have an explanation either… I just love what i do… because i am a culinarian….

What I’ve enjoyed most, though, is meeting people who have a real interest in food and sharing ideas with them. Good food is a global thing and I find that there is always something new and amazing to learn – I love it!    – Jamie Oliver

No comments: